Windshield wipers help you see while driving in adverse conditions. They remove water, snow, dust, and other debris from your windshield. Replacing your wipers regularly is an important step in your vehicle maintenance process. How often you should change your wiper blades depends on many factors. The general, industry recommendation is to replace your wiper blades every 6 to 12 months. Areas with extreme temperatures can alter how often you change your wipers. Find out how you can drive safer and prevent damaging your windshield glass.
How Often Should I Change My Wiper Blades?
Most wiper blade makers recommend replacing your wipers every 6-12 months. AAA advises that it should be done at least once a year. Your windshield wiper blades are made of thin rubber which will break down over time. At Lou’s Car Care, your wiper blades are inspected at every oil change service. Our technicians keep an eye on the condition of your blades to ensure your safety.
What Happens If You Don’t Change Your Wiper Blades?
Worn out wiper blades are a safety risk as you won’t be able to see out of your windshield clearly. You also run the risk of permanently damaging your windshield glass. When the rubber on your wiper blade deteriorates, the wiper arm will rest on your windshield. This will scratch the glass when the wipers run. Clear visibility is important in Baldwinsville, NY, as we navigate through rain, pollen, and snowy conditions.
What Makes Wiper Blades Wear Out Faster?
Knowing the causes of wiper blade failure can help you get the most out of your windshield wipers.
- Climate- Areas with extreme temperatures can cause your blades to wear out faster. Frigid temperatures cause the rubber on the blade to contract while heat will make the rubber material expand. If your area has a constant lack of moisture, the rubber will dry out and crack.
- Usage- The more you use your wipers; the more you’ll have to replace them. Every pass across your windshield will slightly dull your wiper blades, especially if you run your wipers on a dry windshield. Use windshield washer fluid when cleaning your glass. This will allow the wiper blade to glide over the glass and not tug on the rubber blade.
- Parking- Where you park your vehicle matters. Park your vehicle in the shade or in a garage. The UV light from the sun can damage the rubber blade.
What Are The Symptoms Of Bad Wiper Blades?
A good rule of thumb is to replace your windshield wipers at least once a year. You may have to change out your blades earlier if you are experiencing any of these symptoms:
- Streaks are left on the windshield after each wipe
- Blades aren’t making smooth contact with the glass and are skipping or skidding when the wiper arm moves
- Blade rubber is cracked, frayed, or broken
- You hear a scraping or squeaking sound when the wipers are on
- Blade no longer wipes away moisture or debris. It leaves areas of the windshield dirty and with poor visibility
Regular maintenance can extend the lifespan of your windshield wipers. Occasionally cleaning your wiper blades with rubbing alcohol can help them last longer. Changing wipers is fairly easy but if that’s not your thing, Lou’s Car Care can help! Add new wiper blades at your vehicle’s next service. And one of our experienced technicians will replace them for you.
Lou’s Car Care is the right choice for all your auto repair and maintenance needs. Serving the Baldwinsville, NY and surrounding communities since 1976. Call us or schedule your next appointment online today!
Let's Connect! Click on the links below to stay in touch with the Lou's Car Care Community: